Breast Cancer: A Trainer’s Story

Karolina Stepek , 36, said he was "born" in the gym. Having grown up in a small coastal town in Poland , Karolina was still active , do martial arts and even judo competition at the local , regional and national levels.

Karolina moved to the United States in March 2000 and has taught group fitness since 2007. But things changed when Karolina , who has no family history of breast cancer, was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer earlier this year. Then Karolina tells his story in his own words, share how you changed your exercise routine after his diagnosis , his mood to get through the difficult days , find motivation , and more.

My history of breast cancer
Breast cancer: the story of a coach - Staying fit and motivated to treatmentIn April 2013, took a shower after my workout in the morning , I felt a small lump in her right breast . It was round and hard , and not hurt. About a week later I was in the hospital, the biopsy.

I was at work when I received the phone call on Monday . My gynecologist called me and shared the news with me. "You have cancer," he said. " Triple - . Negative, most of all invasive breast cancers " When he said the words I entered my typical survival mode. What should I do ? were the only thoughts I had . No, Why ? or What have I done to deserve this? I leave work early that day. It was Monday, May 13

For the first time , I had to face real decisions , I suddenly found out what it meant to be an adult. I have no family here, and my mother could not come to the States at this time , I had to apply for a visa and wait decisions would be consul if assigned.

At the same time , I have learned more about the type of cancer I had. Triple negative means that the only options Regarding treatment were surgery , chemotherapy and radiotherapy. No pharmacological approach . In addition , triple negative has a period longer possible return : five years . But once the five-year mark is reached, the possibility drops almost to zero. However, it is five years .

Is obtained by surgery
I had surgery on June 5 I have chosen the right breast mastectomy , although at first did not want to hear about it . I thought the loss of a breast is like losing a part of being a woman , I do not even have children yet, something I love so much . And suddenly I found myself divorced , childless , single, and cancer. Not the best , even for an optimist by nature like me.

However, after talking with my surgeon - a wonderful, amazing woman - I decided to follow his advice and mastectomy . Fortunately , BRCA testing was negative , and I made ​​the decision to have a breast removed . If it had been positive , I have no choice but to undergo a bilateral mastectomy. During surgery, also removed some lymph nodes. They proved to be clear , which meant I took the tumor at the time , the cancer has not spread . I could not be happier new audience.

I left the hospital the next day. I was in pain , I had drains coming out of my chest that put fresh wounds , so it is terribly wrong. I was in bed for the first day. Fortunately , I have wonderful friends who stayed with me and looked after me .

The second day after the operation , I could not stay in bed longer. I went out , got dressed , and a friend picked me up for lunch. Of course , I walked like a crippled old woman, but I was out of the house! Nothing made ​​me feel better than a breath of fresh air. Since that day, I refused to stay in bed . Each morning I get up , get dressed ( shower was a different story, that needed help ) , and just try to do things. Of course , I cursed like a sailor when drains or pulling my injury made ​​me a gesture that was not careful enough .


No comments:

Post a Comment